Eating healthy should be one of the most important parts of your day. Whether you are losing weight are just trying to stay healthy, I have given you 9 tips below to help you with whichever health option you choose.
- Eat Nutrient-rich Foods
- In order for optimal health, you need 40 different nutrients, and no single food has them all. You should have all for the different foods groups (bread, fruits, veggies, dairy products, proteins). On a side note, most Americans do not have enough whole grains, fruits and vegies. How much of each you eat, depends on your diet needs. Check the food pyramid and food labels to make sure you are getting the correct nutrients.
- Maintain Healthy Weight
- Too much body fat can increase your risk for high blood pressure, cancer and other illnesses, but being too thin can increase your risk for osteoporosis and other health problems. If you are fluctuating in weight a lot, seeing a dietician can help you regulate your eating habits.
- Eat moderate portions
- Make sure your portions are reasonable. If you are eating healthy, you still may not be losing weight because your portions are too large. The recommended serving of meat is 3 ounces. Refer to the food pyramid for recommended serving sizes
- Eat regular meals
- Do not skip meals! This can lead to you being even hungrier, therefore eating in excess just to fill that hungry. Snacking between meals can help with the excess of hunger, but do not snack too much that snack time becomes mealtime.
- Don’t eliminate, just reduce
- If you are a person who eats for pleasure, but you still want to lose weight, you do not necessarily have to cut out that food. Just make sure you moderate these foods in size and how often you are eating them.
- Also, make sure you are gradually starting this diet. If you dive right in and cut out everything bad you are eating, there is a higher risk you will not stay on the diet and you will not eat healthy.
- Know your pitfalls
- You need to know your eating habits in order to improve them. Make sure you write down everything you eat for the first days. This way you can see any bad habits you have and try to cut them out of your eating. Check this list to make sure you are getting the correct amount of something or not.
I hope these tips will help you along the way on your diet. If you have any others tips you would like to add that would help our readers, please post a comment!